Memorial Day; The Warrior Spouse



Having been deployed as a single Marine, married Marine, civilian contractor and volunteer to many regions and under varying circumstances, it is safe to say there is nothing like having a great support network.

Today, on Memorial Day, I would like to thank all the family members, spouses, friends and the untold faceless out there that have stood along side our service members, civilian contractor and volunteers as they left the comfort of their loved ones traveling to unknown destinations with unrealized expectations.

As I leave for my third mission with Team Rubicon, having completed my second a few weeks ago, I know who is standing right beside me. I know who bares the burden while I am away. It's hard to leave the ones you love and sometimes we forget how hard it is to be left.

My wife may think that I do not know how she feels, but I do. Long before I met her I would listen to my grandmother tell me stories about how when my grandfather was at war (WWII) she would get letters with half of the words blacked out for security reasons. How she would have to travel by train with a newborn across the US to the west coast just to show my grandfather his son before he left for sea again.

I'm not a single man. My life is delicately intertwined with a wife, kids, ambitions, dreams and responsibilities. All of which have to be prioritized. What I need may come before what I want. What others need may come before what I need. It's a life I accepted at a young age and have not looked back since.

Today, I sit in reflection and am honored to have had such great women in my life. Women who supported their husbands answering the call to arms and now, answering the call to help.

Maria, though it may seem at times like I don't fully appreciate what you do and your role while I am away, I do. When I kiss you goodbye, the reason I never look back is because I know what I left behind and it hurts. Every time my plane takes off I pray for a safe return into your arms. When I don't call you in the morning it is because the time difference and I am afraid to wake you out of much needed sleep (I'll text). If I don't call during the day it's because I am working non-stop, ripping apart and salvaging peoples homes, hearing their tragic stories and sharing their grief. I may only call once a day but know that in my mind, those are the perfect times when I think you and I have a free moment.

Most of all, know that I always keep in my heart your sacrifices. They make me love and value you even more. The scales will not always be equal and they may not always be in my favor. Just know that when I am called to stand by you, I will do it, without hesitating.

I love and value you. Thank you for helping me help others.






Comments

Popular Posts