A Letter To My Daughters; Things You Should Know



To my Daughters

Girls, the time has come when we need to have an open discussion about a few things.

It is important for you to be your own woman. How you respect yourself and others will define who you are as a person.

1. Let's talk about BOYS

I can tell you, because I was once your age, that boys at this stage in their lives are confused. We have hormones that are changing. Peer pressure leads us to do stupid things. You have to be SMARTER than them. NEVER let a boy disrespect you or treat you less than your value. Your value, is priceless and any boy that can't see that is NOT worth your time. Your main goal right now in your life is to get an education so you can go to college and have a great career. Boys, and your infatuations with them could lead you down a bad path. Am I saying you can't date? No, but choose your relationships wisely and remember that even bad relationships will teach you about what you need, want and do not want. So, if and when you have a breakup with a boy, it is NOT the end of the world. Lord knows, I look back and thank God at some of my loses.

2. Other Girls

Women can be the most treacherous towards each other. Usually, it involves a BOY! Choose your friends because they have the same values as you do. Have friends that have a backbone and don't break under pressure. You want someone you can trust and count on, be that for them also.


3. Drugs

I can't tell you how many people screwed up their lives by taking drugs. I'm a realist. Do I think all drugs are evil? No. But getting caught with ANY drug will land you in jail and mess up your chances for a good career. Getting caught with some drugs is a felony; NO ONE WILL HIRE YOU!!! YOU JUST SCREWED YOUR LIFE UP!!! As for smoking cigarettes; It's disgusting and boys/men do not think you are cool doing it. We think it smells like hot garbage and makes you look like an idiot who doesn't care about her health. Also, it makes you look like you are trying to be cool because OTHERS are doing it. Be yourself.


4. School

Take it serious. People who say "I'll never use math in the real world" are idiots. The process of learning and the applications you're doing RIGHT NOW are re-wring your brain to be a more dynamic. You may NEVER use it, but, you will be more apt to solving life's complex problems! It's a fact!  Fashion is an issue that usually come along with going to school because most people see school as a social event instead of a forum for learning. You can't help it. You more than likely will want to be trendy. I can't blame you because I was the same way. "Cool", is the people that walk their own path. People that don't let clothes define who they are will be the same ones who set the trends because they are doing what everyone is not doing. Being themselves.

5. Fitness

Play sports! There is nothing like healthy competition. A winner is someone who tries and fails yet gets back up and tries again. A loser is someone who never tries at all. Try hard enough and practice with intent, you will be great at whatever you choose to do.


6. Success

Some people are born with a desire to be great. Others, it comes to them and they seize the opportunity to be great. It takes long hard work. It is NOT easy. Anyone you see on TV that is a celebrity, they either got it through talent or luck. Luck will run out and those are usually easily forgotten. Talent is respected and lasts. You can only get lucky so many times. If you have talent, you have a wellspring that never stops. I wasn't born with the desire to be great. I was meek and afraid. One day I witnessed a car crash. I didn't pay it any attention till I heard screams. As I ran up to the mangled cars I saw children crying and screaming in agony. Glass littered the ground and the mother who was driving the car had hit her head so bad her eye popped out. At that moment, I reacted, something deep inside compelled me to grab the kids out of the car and move them to safety. I stayed with the mother, reassuring her that until the paramedics came. That moment changed me forever. I wanted to help people that were unable to help themselves. I realized that there are people who will fight or flee under pressure and I was a fighter.  It wasn't long after that, I joined the Marines.


7. Family

"I won't always like you, but I will always love you!" Gram Casler used to always say that to me because I drove her up a wall. Family is one of the most important resources you have. NEVER be afraid to be honest with me. I will ALWAYS be honest with you, whether you like it or not. If you EVER get in ANY trouble, make sure I know about it first. I may get mad for a minute but that is better than me hearing it from someone else, which will really piss me off. If you ever have any issues, you can trust family.


8. Sex

My first instinct is to ground you forever! Listen, I'm not stupid. I know you know what it is. I would be a liar if I said I was a virgin when I met your mom. Right now, in this day and age, it's not worth it! I am telling you the truth. Once you do it, the boy will tell every one of his friends and the whole school will know about it. GOD HELP you if he has a camera phone and you send pics! The best policy is to wait until you are an adult. Teen pregnancies are a fact and as much as I see every child as a blessing, you REALLY want to wait for that blessing until you have a career and meet the man of your dreams. Sexually transmitted diseases are a FACT and some, you can NEVER get rid of.


9. Cell Phones

You have one so we can get in touch with you and so that you can call if you need help. Don't be stupid! NEVER EVER take any photos of yourself that you wouldn't want ME to see!! My background is in security. ANYTHING you put on your phone, even if you delete it, can be pulled up in the future. Plus, I can find you no matter where you're at. I am watching you!

10. Yourself!

The hardest thing to do in life is to honestly look at our own faults. If people don't like you, there is a reason why. If people like you, there is a reason why. People want to be with others who make them feel good about who they are. Always remember to bring out the best in others as they will try and bring out the best in you. If they don't, then that's a "friend" you don't need. Sometimes, you may be the person that doesn't bring out the best in those around you, and that is why they don't like you. Other times, people will be jealous or spiteful about your accomplishments. Be humble and just know that their fight with you is nothing compared to their fight with themselves.


10.5 I LOVE YOU

Yep, it's true. Always have, always will.




DAD











Comments

Popular Posts